I decided to write about the fascinating topic of the Full Moon/Lunar Lunacy Theory and it's effects on people. I've always been intrigued with this lunar enigma, so much so that I wrote a paper on it in my college days. Does a full moon really affect people's moods and behavior? Research hasn't proved this theory but as someone who has worked in the Counseling Field, I have experienced it. As a Crisis Phone Counselor,our phones rang off the hook during a full moon. We had to make sure to staff many counselor's to be able to handle the plethora of phone calls. We had calls from not only the chronic callers but many new callers as well that had never used our anonymous phone line before.
Research has not always supported the claim that we act luny during a full moon. There are those on both sides of this debate. During my research, I found proponents of the lunar lunacy theory have either experienced the erratic behavior personally or have witnessed it because of working in a particular field. It doesn't matter to me whether or not research backs up this theory. I am merely intrigued with the "what if's" of this lunar enigma and as I noted earlier, have witnessed it as a phone counselor.
Here is a list of fun facts and intriguing effects of a full moon, per my research from "Scientific Magazine."
- Mental Health issues seem to worsen during full moons. Schizophrenics in particular show the greatest deterioration in mental well-being and quality of life.
- There is increased admissions to psychiatric wards and hospitals during a full moon.
- Suicides and Homicides increase during a full moon.
- Phone lines at Phone Counseling Agencies, ring off the hook during full moons.
- The word "lunatic" actually comes from the word "luna" (Latin for moon) and has connotations that a full moon causes deviant behavior.
- A full moon triggers physiological changes in epileptic patients which can induce seizures.
- There is an increase in crime during a full moon.
- There is an increase in police calls for domestic disturbances during a full moon.
- Eastern European women notice a problem with their menstrual cycles during a full moon.
- There is an increase in traffic accidents during a full moon.
- During the Middle Ages in Europe, the term, "Transylvania Effect" and/or "Lunar Lunacy" was used to describe how a full moon could transform people into Werewolves or Vampires.
- Hospitalization for gastro-intestinal bleeding in males tend to increase when there is a full moon.