Monday, March 17, 2014

A Touching St. Patrick's Day Tale

There once was a girl named Linda Lou. She was born with a hole in her heart and would eventually have open heart surgery, but she didn't let that bring her down.  She had a identical twin sister, Laura Lee,  that always made her smile and get her through the hard times. After she had open heart surgery, her loving sister had a big party for her in the cafeteria at school. Linda Lou could not believe how many presents she received, or all the friends that seemed to care about her.

Linda Lou lost her mother when she was only nine years old. She couldn't have made it through the terrible pain and anguish if it weren't for her identical twin-Laura Lee. Both Linda Lou and Laura Lee were scared to turn '39' for fear of dying at the same age as their mother. Thankfully, they had each other to get through the days and years ahead.

When Linda Lou turned 39, she tragically lost her brother David at the young age of 40 from an overdose of drugs and alcohol. He lived one year more than his dear mother. At the same time, Linda Lou's twin sister filed for divorce from a very abusive and controlling man. It was scary for her because he told lots of lies to her friends and family and tried to get people to go against her. Thankfully, Laura Lee had Linda Lou to lean on. They had made it through difficult times in the past and would make it through this painful chapter in life too.

Linda Lou and Laura Lee were thrilled when they made 39 and 40 because of the death of their mother and brother at these respective ages. They were now breathing easier and living happier than ever before. Why not, they had dodged the curse of dying young.  Linda Lou and Laura Lee had a new skip in their step and looked to the future with great optimism and hope.

Sadly, One month after Linda Lou and Laura Lee turned 41,  Linda Lou was diagnosed with the dreadful disease of lung cancer, even though she had never been a smoker. It was the scariest time in the twins' life because they both loved each other so much that neither of them could imagine living life without the other. The doctor's gave Linda Lou a 20-25% chance of surviving five years from this disease. The hospital chaplain even paid Linda Lou a visit and said a prayer with her. Linda Lou and Laura Lee cried a lot and prayed for God's mercy to save her from this demise and the curse of dying young that had so plagued their family. Laura Lee asked Linda Lou to move in with her and her two children so they could take good care of her and give her lots of love to make her better.

Laura Lee had a big party for Linda Lou on her five year mile-stone of being cancer-free. She invited all Linda Lou's best friends for appetizers at the house and rented a big, black limousine to bring them to all the local haunts to celebrate the big day. Linda Lou and her friends danced, sang karaoke and celebrated late into the night. It was a night Linda will never forget as long as she lives. 

Happily, Linda Lou beat the odds and has made it well past the five year statistical marker of survival. If you want to find her, she will be out celebrating her ten year cancer free anniversary with her best friend, Laura Lee. Because Linda Lou had the cancer removed on St. Patrick's Day in 2004, she will be eating corn beef and cabbage, doing the Irish Jig and Singing Irish songs today. Oh, and she will be telling all the world how grateful she is to be alive and how the love of her best friend and twin sister, Laura Lee, made all the difference for her. The love and support Laura and Laura's two kids showered her with, gave Linda the hope and motivation to get through the scary times and worrisome cat scans. 

Thank you Laura Lee for loving me and always being there when I need you. You and I were meant to be put on this earth together.
You are my heart and soul twinner.
Love LindaEmoji

8 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you yesterday an hoped you were celebrating as I remembered that not only was it St. Patrick's Day but you cancer free anniversary as well. May you live a long and healthy life my dear friend.
    I also wanted to say that all my life I was afraid that I would die in my 30's like my mother did from cancer.
    Hope you have a wonderful week and that you had a fantastic St. Patrick's Day. Sending you virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I really wish there was an edit button. Please forgive the missed letters *the d in an, the r in you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Susan-so nice to see you come by my blog on my cancer-free anniversary. Sis and I had a blast yesterday. So sweet that you remembered my big day. Giving you a great big hug right back. Hope your doing alright. Where are you at in terms of chemo? I hope your done soon and that the reports are positive. Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, my sincere best wishes on your anniversary!

    Your tribute is beautiful and be assured, you continue to have an positive impact on many other people's lives!

    May God bless you with many more anniversaries to come!

    P.S. Susan, I'm praying for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Angelia-It really touched me to see you here today to celebrate my big anniversary. You are one special woman and I am so blessed to have met you. Yes, I pray for Susan daily as well. She is one tough lady- Her optimism inspires me every day. She has been through this darn cancer journey too many times.

      Delete
  5. There are so many manifestations of love and the relationship you sisters have as twins is certainly an amazing one. Your story brought me to tears and smiles both! Hope you both danced the jig yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So amazing to see you on my blog Charli-Sorry I brought you to tears but the love I have for sis is amazing. I have always been able to count on her through life's ups and downs. I am so blessed God blessed me with Laura. We had a blast on St. Patrick's day. We went to our local St. Patrick's Day Parade, ate Corn Beef and Cabbage, and then brought the kids out to dinner to celebrate. God is so good to me :-) Bless you for coming by and being part of my big anniversary.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete