Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"God, I love her dearly, but really, must I go through my twin sister's pain"


Identical twins, like Laura and I, have an uncanny connection and relationship that many find intriguing. I can honestly tell you that my life has been chalk full of great opportunities and fun because of it. In later hubs I will share some really exciting stories about some of these great opportunities.



This special relationship does come with a price because of the very nature of our intense connection. Here is one of my many stories of the down side of twinhood.



As I shared in an earlier hub, I went to ER in 2004 complaining of symptoms similiar to a heart attack. The x-ray they had taken, showed a spot on my right lung. She (the doctor) wasn't very concerned because I was forty-one and a non-smoker. She told me to make an appointment with my primary doctor, just to be safe. Long story a little shorter, after doing another x-ray, it was clear that the spot had grown. I was told to set up an appointment for a biopsy. I could not believe this was happening.



The morning of the biopsy, Laura, the kids and I, said a prayer that the procedure would go safely and smoothly. We got the kids off to school and hesitantly left for the hospital. I checked in at the front desk and filled out all the necessary paperwork. She handed me a pamphlet on the possible complications of having a biopsy. It basically said, that in rare instances, there can be lung collapse. This is mostly seen in the elderly or people with emphysema. Having read that, I was feeling confident that there was nothing to worry about. I am forty-one, I've never smoked, so no emphysema. Ok, I am ready to do this, let's get the dreaded biopsy behind me.



I am rolled down to the operating room after hugging my sister to pieces. I said, "Laura, this is gonna be a piece of cake." It's always harder on a loved one and I could see the fear in her face. They gave me a Very Mild sedative from what I could tell. As the needle was approaching my chest, I prayed it would'nt hurt too bad. I found myself letting out a big scream when it penetrated the lung. It really hurt! Anyway, they wheel me to a recovery room where they monitor you closely. They keep listening to your breathing to make sure it sounds right. The nurse tells me after about twenty minutes, that my breathing sounds a little laboured and I will have to go get x-rayed.



Laura and I are now waiting in the hallway for the doctor, to let me know the results of the x-ray. He says, "Linda, your lung is collapsing from the biopsy and you will need a chest tube put in to re-inflate it. We need to do it now before you are no longer able to breathe." Poor sis is now crying and I put on my brave face. I told her that this was just a little bump in the road and I would be fine. She didn't tell me until after I left the hospital, but she knew how painful it was gonna be. Our highschool buddy was the x-ray tech and told her that getting a chest tube was one of the most painful procedures you can have. He should have known better not to say that to Laura. He was right though, it was excruciating!



Laura is out in the hallway waiting very anxiously for the surgery to end. She clutched her bible close and read the whole time I was in surgery.



Again, I was given some kind of sedative. You don't sleep with it, just relax a little, ya, right. The surgeon's instructed me to breathe out when they said go as it would help reduce the pain. I was given the green light and took a deep breath. It felt like someone was stabbing me with a knife. I let out a very loud groan. The surgeons who were downplaying the procedure earlier, were now congratulating me on how tough I was. I guess I know what it feels like to be stabbed with a knife. Yes, I would agree I am tough!



I guess in my groggy state, I kept asking for my twin sister. The surgeons were cool guys and knew it would be to my benefit to see her right away. As Laura tells me, the surgeons snuck Laura through a private tunnel for staff, to get me to her faster. The minute I saw her I cried and she held me in her arms. She gave me that sisterly, twinly love that I needed after such a traumatic procedure.



I told you that the twin connection, in all it's joy's, has a down side. When I was released from the hospital and feeling better, she shared this story with me...



She was in the waiting area reading her bible. From out of nowhere she felt like a knife went through her chest on the right side. She looked up from the bible and prayed..."Lord, I love her so much but please take away this pain." And just then, the pain was gone.
Please feel free to listen to the song I dedicated to Laura for always being there for me. Van Morrison's, "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFF1wJN75Z0

No comments:

Post a Comment